Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wild Urban Woodlands

I have been rereading some of the essays in Wild Urban Woodlands: New Perspectives for Urban Forestry [Kowarik and Korner, 2005]. Can we produce a similar conference and book in the US? I doubt it. American urban ecology is still struggling to catch up to ideas like "new wilderness" and prospective views of nature and ecology. We still long for and manage for the past with a retrospective longing for lost habitats and native species. I long for some of those habitats too, but here in the city I try appreciate the emerging habitats and cosmopolitan communities found in urban ecosystems.

Join me next Tuesday Oct 2 when I talk about a wild urban woodland that I have been monitoring over the last few years and some vacant lots that I love...

No comments: